Mommy is reserved for when I am doing something that benefits him entirely. Say, buying cupcakes for his birthday party at school. I also get called Mommy when he is trying to drag out his bed time. He knows that that one little word complete screws me up. It makes my heart melt and my tummy do flips. And. he. knows. He knows that I don't expect to be called Mommy one bit. He has one of those, even if he only sees her every now and again. But he knows how to throw a Mommy out there to get his way.
Fortunately for us, he hasn't learned that he can use his power for evil yet. Because I imagine one day I will be sitting in front of a judge with a public defender at my side swearing "No, Your Honor, it was me who stole that
The other side of this Mommy coin is that it makes me feel so distraught. I hate that I am only Mommy sometimes. I am a little jealous of the fact The Incubator is ALWAYS Mommy. Mostly I am jealous that she gets that title with zero effort on her part and here I am, pulling my hair out to make sure that he knows that not all women will bail out on him. I spend so much time trying to convince him that she just couldn't get out of work to spend time with him or that it really is possible for someone to have 397million tummy aches in one week and that's why she didn't call. I just wish that we could both be Mommy (full time) and both put in full time work to make sure he has the best possible chance for survival out there.
Because the world is a cruel place. The kind of place where, at thirty when his own kids are going nuts on him, he will be calling home asking for Mommy.
Kinda like I do from time to time.
No comments:
Post a Comment