Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Sector secure.

Early bed time for me and Daddy last night. SmartyPants? Not so much. He was up till ten and crabby. It was thanks to the scorching heat and our less-than-capable AC. It was 87 degrees in our house yesterday evening. UGH. I can't even be mad at him for being crabby. All I ask is that we not take it out on each other. Now, stop. breathing. so. LOUD! See? I'm mature about this.

To set the scene: we have two dogs who get gated into the kitchen (doggy door lets them out as they please) and one loud-as-an-F5-tornado floor fan in the hallway to circulate the barely cooled air. Daddy got in bed a little before me and was dozing. Sometime after I dozed off, Daddy's head jerked toward the hallway, all meerkat-like. He had a terribly long, hot day at work and so I announced that I would check for the mystery sound (which I knew what the dogs being obnoxious in the kitchen. He reminded me to double check that all the doors were locked. Uh, duh. I am patrolling the house and realize that the front door was, in fact, NOT LOCKED. Oh schnitzel!

Now my heart is racing and I am on high alert. Of course, I don't want to alarm Daddy and certainly don't want to wake up SmartyPants or get the dogs riled up. So I walk around the house again, checking behind doors and double, triple checking on SmartyPants. I am sure that there is some sort of burglar/rapist/sicko hiding behind one of the doors. I even checked the pantry. A person couldn't get in there. The kid can't even fit in there. Not. the. point. Thankfully the house was free of intruders and I made my way back to bed (but not before tripping over the stupid fan).

When I got to my side of the bed, Daddy uttered a very grateful but sleepy "Thank you" when I announced the sector was secure. Still, I laid in bed for an hour running through my mind every scenario in which someone had breached our loving, safe home. I am pretty sure that no matter where I am should someone dare to break in, I can get to a weapon and go Jack Bauer on the creepo.

I have a kid to protect, ladies and gents.

No comments:

Post a Comment